needlebanner

Rows of Purls

Begin to weave and God will give you the thread.--German Proverb

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I would not be defeated!

I decided to knit the noni baguette as a gift for one of the ladies at the yarn shop. I was a little anxious because this was my first time felting, and because I have a front load combination washer/dryer. I read the pattern thoroughly and searched the internet for sites on how to felt using a front load machine. After two complete cycles in the washer/dryer, the bag did not felt. Still, I would not be defeated. I then decided to knit the bag again with the leftover yarn from the first one. My results were the same...no felt. The first pic shows the bag ready for felting and the last pic is of the bag after six hours in the washer/dryer.


During my internet search on felting, I discovered a site on felting by hand. Since I experienced two failed attempts at felting, I decided to make this little pouch and try felting it by hand. Yes!...felt at last. I even added a red lining on the inside and a few stitch markers.
Pattern: Felted Pouch
Yarn: Noro Kureyon


During my felting crisis, I began to knit this little jacket for my son's goddaughter. I needed a quick knit, and a self-esteem booster, after the disappointment with my noni baguette. Kudos to my daughter for making the pom-pom.
Pattern: Bernat Sweetie Pie
Yarn: Bernat Baby Boucle'

7 Comments:

  • At 11:10 PM, Blogger Tracy Batchelder said…

    Since the yarn in the first bag did not felt at all, I would guess it has been treated so it won't shrink. The second bag looks great! And, the sweater is adorable!

     
  • At 1:06 AM, Blogger WandaWoman said…

    Sorry the bag didn't felt for you. If it is not superwash wool and you think it might have something to do with your washer, you may try going to a laundromat and seeing if it will felt there? The hand-felted bag is really cute as well as the cardigan.

     
  • At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Haven't been to your blog in a while, and it's great to see such wonderful knitting! And your vacation looked fab! I'd love to check out Thailand soon.

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The little pouch is cute! Sorry the other didn't felt. The colors of the sweater are great, and the pom-pom is perfect. Have a nice vacation.

     
  • At 10:40 PM, Blogger handknit168 said…

    I like your hand-felt pouch very much. But what is felt by hand and how, please tell me so I have make up by using my stash.

    http://handknitisfun.blogspot.com/
    handknit168@yahoo.com.hk

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The little sweater is adorable and the bag is lovely!

    Great job on perservering. My son loves to talk about perservering. The Italian Scallion would be proud! (Veggie Tales)

     
  • At 11:35 PM, Blogger Mimi said…

    It's a lovely pouch! I 've never felted before, but I could tell your effort to make it work! Good job!

    I often find a plain sts project when my knits don't work well. That pink/yellow baby jacket is adorable.

    I also like the pink "best friend purse", it's so pretty! Lucky friend! ;)

    How do you like Amu? I stopped my subscription this year because I didn't enjoy last years' issues. Then I heard it has some new structural changes this year.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home