needlebanner

Rows of Purls

Begin to weave and God will give you the thread.--German Proverb

Thursday, November 09, 2006

To Buy or Not To Buy?

Korean Handmade Knitting Needles

More Expensive Brand Knitting Needles

Today, after reading someone's blog about their Brittany Birch knitting needles, I decided that maybe I could us some new knitting needles. I scanned over my inventory of needles, which mostly include Addi, Denise Interchangeable and Clover, to decide what to buy. After careful thought, and reading a few comments on knitter's review and this knitter's review article on how to make circular needles, I decided to stick with my fifty-cent handmade needles. For the past year I've been using these handmade needles. They come in circular and straight and knit just as well as my other needles. In fact, a few days ago, I started a new project with one of my luxury needles and the gauge was way off...too loose. I pulled out one of my fifty-cent pair and was quickly moving along.

10 Comments:

  • At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd stick with the 50 cent ones too. They look well made to me. The bamboo(?) appears to be smooth and cords look flexible.

     
  • At 5:00 AM, Blogger Nik said…

    I'd stick with whatever works best. Needle choice is truly a personal thing and if those cheapy ones work better for you, use them.

    I'm working with some Susan Bates circs that are driving me up a wall. There's a bend in them that makes the piece stick and slows you down considerably. I'm trying to find an alternative.

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The handmade ones look really well done! Do they shape the tips by hand too? It's great to be able to try out various needles without paying a premium.

     
  • At 1:38 AM, Blogger Judy said…

    Hi Andrea, those handmade needles are awesome! Gee, your tea swap pal must have spent a fortune on that box of goodies! I'm jealous.....

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger Mimi said…

    Thanks for visiting my corner! From my experiences,it's not easy to find yarn shops in China. But I know Beijing should have lots of yarn places.

    I have a set of those Korean needles, they were gifts from a friend while I was visiting Seoul. Have you been to the textile center which has lots of yarn stalls?

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger handknit168 said…

    Thanks for your comments and reading my blog. I am using AERO straight needles since starting my knitting work. Please leave yr email address to me.

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The new banner looks great!

     
  • At 3:45 AM, Blogger Judy said…

    Thanks, I can't wait to see my family for Thanksgiving! I'm heading out to Florida in 2 days!! Happy Thanksgiving!

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thanks! Love that knitted bag!

     
  • At 12:30 AM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said…

    I have been thinking about making my own needles (the straight ones) lately - giving them a try and seeing how they turn out. I haven't done it yet, but when I do I will post about it on my knitting blog (http://kittenyarnsandcrafts.blogspot.com)

    I don't have any of the more expensive brands like Addi. Mine are all the cheaper ones that you get in the stores; this is fine by me because the important thing is that they work.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home