needlebanner

Rows of Purls

Begin to weave and God will give you the thread.--German Proverb

Tuesday, October 17, 2006


I decided to complete the sweater and abandon the throw, at least for now. The throw was for my daughter, but she has fallen for the Viveka Sweater. Completing this sweater was definitely a challenge. The pattern was an original and the designer/shop owner could not speak English. However, since I first began knitting at the shop, my Korean has gotten better. Hana, dul, set,--one, two, three. These numbers were important to learn, especially when trying to determine how many decreases or increases to make. The sweater is both knit and crochet (bobbles and trim). The yarn is 100% cotton and is extremely soft, a brand from South Korea. I always learn something new when I knit with the ladies. I now finish my sweaters without blocking. Blocking doesn't seem to be a technique used by the ladies at this particular shop. In fact, I watched a few ladies finish their sweaters without blocking and they looked perfect. It works for them and it works for me.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:58 PM, Blogger Tracy Batchelder said…

    Andrea,
    This sweater is so beautiful! Great work on the knitting and crochet. Great pattern too. Please tell the shop owner I love her design (if you've mastered the language well enough). Leave it to knitting to overcome language barriers.
    Tracy

     
  • At 5:41 AM, Blogger Nik said…

    what do the ladies do that keeps them from having to block?

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh it's beautiful! It's great you were able to beat the language barrier.

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Judy said…

    Hi Andrea,thanks for visiting me again. Your sweater is absolutely the breath-taking! OMG, beautiful. You did a great job, the stitching is awesome, and to think you had to translate??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home